The North Staffs Railway Traffic Committee decided in October 1850 to convert the existing water bailiff’s house into an inn which we know today as the Hotel Rudyard and also to erect a cottage for the labourers at Rudyard; this is now a private dwelling.
In 1869, a Mr Henry Platt took over the tenancy and under his management the hotel was considerably enlarged by the addition of a new wing which contained a splendid ballroom. Other entertainment was provided using the grounds for archery, bowls, quoits and velocipedes. Along with this, dinner, teas and other refreshments were provided. During the early 1900s an extra floor was added.
In March 2015 the Hotel Rudyard was sold and is now under a new management who plan to improve the facilities and convert some of the outside buildings into tourist accommodation.
Another hotel, originally known as the Railway Hotel was built in the 1890s at the entrance to the village facing Dunwood Lane. This was later renamed as the Station Hotel. There is a foundation stone in the older part of the building which dates back to 1610. The hotel boasted a crown green bowling green along with a clubhouse. The hotel was purchased by the Chesters-Thompson brewery and substantially enlarged by the early 1900s. Over the years, the name was changed to The Poacher’s Tavern and latterly to The Galleon. The building has now been converted to a number of private apartments.